Eat Your Feelings: the ooey, gooey, peanut butter chocolate mug cake

 



I've been feeling so disheartened lately by the querying process. So I thought I'd do an eat your feelings post where I give my version of a delicious recipe for those days where you just need a chocolate pick me up.

But then today I got a spot of good news in my querying process (vague on purpose). So then I thought I'd do an eat your feelings post where I give my version of a delicious recipe for those days when you are just so excited you need celebratory chocolate.

Either way, here we are.

The original recipe for this peanut butter chocolate cake was one I found on Parentpretty.com. Her picture looked so yummy, I thought I'd give it a try. You should definitely go check out her recipe and then read below for what I changed.

In general, I consider myself a hopeful, optimistic type of person. But the querying process is a soul-sucking journey that often leads you to a pit of frustration where you second guess each of your life's choices and wonder what the heck made you think you could write in the first place. 

I always pull myself out of the pit. Mostly by remembering that this is my goal, darn-it! My dream! I'll get there eventually, and then I'll look back on this journey with hopefully fond memories. If nothing else, I have to work toward my dream. I can't control what other people do, but I can control what I do. And what I can do is keep working hard to become stronger and learn my craft to better succeed.

[insert war-cry here]

Every author that has queried with any sort of longevity knows what I'm talking about. And boy have I been feeling it lately. That heavy feeling that I will never make it.

And then I have a day like today. Where I magically get some good news. It may be small fish to anyone else, but to me it's huge. I will take any bit of hope that I can and celebrate that as a monumental success.

Chocolate is both a pick-me-up and celebratory thing, so let's get down to this mug cake. Check out Parentpretty.com for the base recipe and then:

-I put in probably twice the amount of peanut butter called for because, well, peanut butter.

-I put peanut butter chocolate morsels in the mix before baking to replace the chocolate chips called for. 

-I added whipped cream

-I added Hershey's chocolate syrup

-I added more peanut butter chocolate morsels on top when it was done.

-I probably microwaved the batter for about 80 seconds total, but that depends on your microwave.

So, with everything I added, it may not come as a surprise to you that I could not finish this in one sitting. It was so rich and chocolatey and peanut-buttery, that I had to save some for tomorrow. But boy did it hit the spot. 

Do you have a yummy mug cake or peanut butter recipe? Please send them my way!!!



Comments

Popular Posts