This Week in Rejections: December 30, 2020




For my final "This week in rejections" post for 2020, I have a whopping three rejections that cover the time from my last rejection post on the 11th to today. 

It's December, so not surprising.

Rejection 1: The epitome of form rejections. It doesn't address me by name or even "author." It's nice, thanking me for submitting to the agency. Uh-oh, this agency had my new query. That's a red flag for my query.

Rejection 2: This rejection was so form, it was an agency rejection, not even personalized to the individual agent I submitted to, let alone personalized to me. Double Uh-oh, this agency had my new query as well, That's two rejections on my new query so far.

Rejection 3: This was a very nice rejection that referred to me by name and mentioned what the author didn't like about my submission. Was it a personalized rejection? I don't think so, but maybe partially personalized. Either way, this agent did something right. Whether they wrote that for me specifically or chose from an list of rejection letters to best reflect their feelings on the project, I appreciate the direction. They also gave me some resources for querying writers. Though this bothers some writers, I appreciate it. Triple Uh-oh. This agency also had my new query. 

Groan.

That means that three out of the four agents I sent my new query letter were not fans of it. I haven't heard from the fourth, yet. I have three options:

1) Cry

2) Keep submitting the query letter, because four isn't a statistically large enough number to make an assumption for the rest of the agenting world

3) Revise

Option one sounds intriguing. Option two sounds reasonable, but . . . option three is how I'm going to handle this. In fact, I am already working on it. Also, shhhhhhh! I'm revising my manuscript AGAIN. Why? Because I enjoy torturing myself with written work. That, plus I got some good feedback that I think will help my book.

Keep calm and query on!

Comments

Popular Posts